Featured Chictopians and bloggers- Fashionshesays

Fashion She Says

I was really looking forwards to featuring Fashionshesays she has a brilliant blog and loads of really nice pics. Shes also been featured on Weardrobe lucky girl so i might have been a little over the top with the piccies but it makes for a brilliant post and we can oooh and aaahh over all her fabby outfits !
Feel free to comment..

Oringina xo

we love colors




How do you get your inspiration for the outfits you wear ?
I’m inspired everywhere: girls on the street, books, movies … I’ve been fascinated by fashion ever since I played with dolls & looked at the pictures in my mom’s magazines; I started clipping my favorite editorials & making collages for a long term high school photography project but continue it to this day.  My paramount daily motivation is my mood; sometimes I try to plan outfits, but ultimately I only put on what I feel like wearing that morning.



Who has had the biggest influence on your outfits ?
My biggest fashion influence is Almost Famous’ Penny Lane (played by Kate Hudson)... I fell in love with everything about her character (clothes/charm) & my sensibility has been informed by her ever since then.  Almost Famous is still my favorite movie & I can cite the scenes according to Ms. Hudson’s wardrobe (incidentally I also remember the events of my own life by what I wore)…. One of the reasons I started a blog was to document my life according to my sartorial choices.







What made you start posting your pictures on Chictopia ?
I started posting on chictopia because I noticed some of the bloggers I read did so (in their “as seen/featured on” section).  I was hooked the first time I visited chictopia – it’s a genius idea to have a community where fashion-lovers can share their street style/inspiration.

http://fashionmylegs.blogspot.com/




What blogs and websites do you follow and why ?
While I love the print medium (feeling the weight of a magazine in my hands & ripping out glossy pages), I also like reading street style/girls’ blogs (especially at the office).  They prompted me to start my own blog & accordingly, I began posting my outfits a few months ago.

Here are some of my favorite sites/blogs:
·        The Cut (NY Mag’s fashion blog)/On the Runway (The NY Times’ style blog): good general sources for what’s happening in the fashion world, plus Cathy Horn (The NY Times’ fashion critic) is my professional idol.
·        The Satorialist/garrance dorĂ©: gorgeous street style culled from worldwide.
·        Sea of Shoes/bunny BISOUS/what is reality anyway: amazing personal style blogs that inspire my sartorial choices.
·        Pandora/the cherry blossom girl/Le Blog de Betty: French chic to satiate my inner Francophile.

http://fashionmylegs.blogspot.com/

[chic.JPG]

Would you describe yourself as a trendsetter or fashion follower ?
Trendsetter or fashion follower… I suppose I’m a hybrid of the two.  I love learning about new/old trends & adapting them to my wardrobe; trends are most interesting when people interpret them according to their own style.  Recently I read that girls dress for either men or other women; I suppose I fall into the latter category but ultimately dress for myself – style is a personal expression of who we are.

http://fashionmylegs.blogspot.com/




How would you describe your style ?
My style is an old fashioned mixture of girlishness crossed with a luxe bohemian sensibility.  It hasn’t changed much since I was a little girl – I like to feel feminine & free; comfort to me means a dress & a pair of ballet flats.

1


Does the hosiery you wear dictate your clothes or outfits ?
The opposite actually – my clothes dictate my hosiery (unless I have a spectacular pair of stockings).  Otherwise, I focus on what I’m wearing that day (usually a dress) & then pick out a pair of tights that contrasts or matches it.

Whats in your hosiery drawer or closet ?
I have two drawers devoted to tights in my armoire: one is for unworn pairs still stuffed with cardboard; the other drawer is for worn pairs.  While I’m usually an organized person, I take a certain amount of pleasure in a mass of tangled stockings.  I also have some stocking-socks (black & nude) to wear with pants/boots.





How do you choose your hosiery ?
I shop for hosiery as I do anything else: I pick up everything I’m attracted to & consider how it will contribute to my wardrobe.  As you can’t try on tights, they’re usually a quick pick-me-up purchase akin to buying other accessories (i.e. shoes or bags) but even better because they’re more economical.





here do you shop for hosiery ?
I shop for most of my hosiery in the sale section of department stores/boutiques & drugstores (my secret source).  As stockings are ultimately disposable items (one snag renders them useless), it’s silly to spend a lot of money on them (although a girl can dream of Wolford’s thick weaves, Rodarte’s artful crochet & fall 2009 RTW’s sequined/embellished-saturated runways).

chic_original


What was the last hosiery item you brought and for how much ?
The last time I bought tights was on Black Friday: an armful of discounted pairs (sparkly, knit, colorful) at a store discontinuing a line of hosiery.  I stock up on stockings at sales since they’re an inexpensive/easy way to change your look.
Do you prefer sheer or opaque tights ?
I prefer basic tights (easy on, easy off); here’s the breakdown…
·        Opaque over sheer (opaque tights are warmer, which is the raison d’ĂȘtre for leg-wear).
·        Stockings over holdups (holdups are too complicated & prone to stretching out/slipping down).
·        Knee-highs over socks (knee-highs are charmingly schoolgirl & I never wear socks except to the gym).
·        I’m ambivalent about sheer toe/reinforced tights; although it’s an old fashioned faux pas, I never wear stockings with open-toe shoes, so the toe is immaterial.

chic_original (1)

How often do you wear hosiery ?
I wait until fall is undeniably here (i.e. morning temperatures hovering around 50 °F) before donning my first pair of stockings for the season.  However, once I put them on, I wear hosiery almost everyday throughout fall, winter & spring… I rely on tights/boots to keep me warm as I’m a dress girl & rarely wear pants.

1


What is your hosiery staple ?
My hosiery staple is definitely black opaque tights… They go with everything, are inherently slimming & support a range of looks (from sophisticated to Lolita).  I even keep a spare pair in my desk at work in case whichever ones I’m wearing that day rip.


What are your style tips for wearing tights ?
There are no rules for wearing tights; feel free to mix & match depending upon your mood.  Here are some of my styling tips:
·        Match (such as black on black) or complement (i.e. contrast – use the color wheel as a guide) your outfit with stockings.
·        Textured tights are great when it’s really cold outside, especially sweater, cable-knit & waffle-weave.
·        Patterned tights are my favorite (floral, plaid, argyle, checkered, polka dot…).  Wear them with solid colored clothes or play around by mixing patterned clothing/tights in the same color family.

http://fashionmylegs.blogspot.com/

What do you love-hate about hosiery ?
Best/love:
Tights keep you warm when the weather’s cold, allowing you to wear dresses/skirts year-round.
Patterned, textured & colorful tights are a way to have fun with a practical accessory.
Worst/hate:
When tights snag, run, or pill.  I’m also not a fan of hosiery that looks accidentally ripped (on the knees or thighs); it looks cheap/careless.
Tights with open toe shoes or hosiery worn as pants – just no.
When stockings stretch out, causing you to constantly pull them up.

http://fashionmylegs.blogspot.com/

http://fashionmylegs.blogspot.com/

Additionally, here are 10 of my fave outfits featuring tights on chictopia (note the same outfits are posted on my blog on the corresponding days but with diff pics):
http://www.chictopia.com/photo/show/186597-black-hanii-y-coat-black-anna-sui-dress-brown-allison-daniels-designs-belt-
http://www.chictopia.com/photo/show/186008-black-marc-by-marc-jacobs-dress-white-vintage-costume-necklace-pink-nicole-m
http://www.chictopia.com/photo/show/183700-sonia-by-sonia-rykiel-top-31-phillip-lim-skirt-costume-earrings-vintage-ne
http://www.chictopia.com/photo/show/183421-vintage-eloise-curtis-for-happenstance-blouse-milly-top-31-phillip-lim-skirt
http://www.chictopia.com/photo/show/183065-31-phillip-lim-dress-linea-pelle-belt-earrings-tintoretta-tights-delman-
http://www.chictopia.com/photo/show/167546-see-by-chloe-jacket-31-phillip-lim-dress-belt-vintage-costume-necklace-v
http://www.chictopia.com/photo/show/175722-anna-sui-top-nanette-lepore-skirt-vintage-costume-earrings-vintage-costume
http://www.chictopia.com/photo/show/174338-milly-jacket-see-by-chloe-dress-vintage-saks-fifth-ave-belt-vintage-costum
http://www.chictopia.com/photo/show/173914-vintage-blouse-milly-top-twenty8twelve-skirt-vintage-costume-necklace-jo
http://www.chictopia.com/photo/show/169274-anna-sui-dress-vintage-costume-earrings-tights-chanel-shoes






Thanks to Fashionshesays for answering the questions.

http://www.fashionshesays.com/

Oringina xo