This weeks featured blogger- Happy faces rock

Blog: http://www.happyfacesrock.blogspot.com

Chictopia: http://www.chictopia.com/karenkay

15.jpg 15 picture by happyfacesrock


How do you get your inspiration for the outfits you wear?

I’ve been obsessed with Japanese and Korean pop culture for the past year or so, so many of my more eccentric outfits are inspired by various music videos and concert performances. I also stalk several street fashion blogs and steal ideas for my own outfits in that way. Since I’m a student at a small, private Episcopal high school in a relatively small city, I get a lot of stares but I hope it inspires others to take risks in their everyday choices as well.


17.jpg 17 picture by happyfacesrock



What made you start posting your pictures on Chictopia? 

Chictopia is a creative community with people from all walks of life so I found it easy to be inspired by such positive members.


4.jpg 4 picture by happyfacesrock


What blogs and websites do you follow and why? 

I use Tumblr relatively obsessively because it’s so easy to follow random blogs that catch my attention. A few non-Tumblr blogs that have caught my attention in the past year include Too Many Tights (I love his designs and have been lusting over his Galaxy leggings and Sheer Spartans for months – Oh boy do I need to get a job!), Style Rookie, and Fashion Pirates. I’m also currently very into a few linguistics blogs and I love to keep up on current events.



Would you describe yourself as a trendsetter or fashion follower?

Neither. I generally dress to the beat of my own drum: I wear what I want to wear, without regard to what others dictate I should wear or fear of what others will think of my outfits.


7.jpg 7 picture by happyfacesrock


How would you describe your style? 

Like a 5-Year-Old’s.



Does the hosiery you wear dictate the clothes, outfit you wear?

Sometimes. I generally pick one item, (be it a blouse, skirt, pair of shorts or of course… tights) from my wardrobe and build the day’s outfit from there.



What is in your hosiery drawer or closet? 

Here, take a look! 
18.jpg 18 picture by happyfacesrock



How do you choose your hosiery? 

When something catches my eye, I think about if I’ll actually wear it and if the answer is a “yes” then I buy it.
Where do you shop for hosiery? 
I used to buy things from Target, but lately their selection has been relatively lacking. Many of my more prominent pieces have been gifts from my outstanding friends/family (especially when they come back from trips to Asia!)

16.jpg 16 picture by happyfacesrock

Do you prefer sheer or opaque tights, stockings or holdups, socks or kneehighs,sheer toe or reinforced? 

Opaque, Holdups, no preference, reinforced.



Do you ever wear 10 denier tights or sheer hose if so how long do they last you?

Yes but they hardly ever last me more than 2 hours, haha.


11.jpg 11 picture by happyfacesrock


How does wearing tights make you feel emotionally? More feminine, better with girly outfits not thought about it?

They definitely make me feel more feminine and that my outfits are more “complete.”



What is your hosiery staple? 

My dark grey xhilaration tights go with everything! (see pic below) They’re a slight variation of the classic black tights but I feel that they add a little more interest to an outfit. I need to buy myself another pair, though: after about a year of constant wear they’ve finally gotten a hole on one of the calves!
Another notable pair that I own are these Celeste Stein harlequin leggings that my friend Claire gave me for Christmas(?) last year. They add so much fun and drama to any outfit! 

1.jpg 1 picture by happyfacesrock



What are your style tips for wearing tights?

Be bold! Experiment with layering, don’t be daunted by the prospect of mixing/matching texture and/or color.  Getting dressed should be fun, not a chore. However, when in doubt, feel free to go traditional: black tights go with everything – just be conscious of whether or not the black will weigh down the look or not.



How do you put on tights?

I definitely do a strange little wriggle in order to get them on, haha.



If you was told you could never wear tights again, how would you feel ?

I would be so disappointed it’s not even funny. I’m pretty sure I would punch somebody in the face, no joke.



Do you keep a spare pair of tights in your bag?

No, I’ve never thought about that. Generally if I get a hosiery disaster I just take off the offending pair. Great tip, thanks!


14.jpg 14 picture by happyfacesrock


The best and worst things about hosiery, Love-hate?

Love: how versatile they are, how much interest they can add to an outfit
Hate: how easy it is to get runs in sheer tights! *insert look of despair here*



Do you recycle your tights?

Yes! I’ve recycled them into necklaces (I used my own variation of this tutorial) but what I generally do with them is to do a lot of destroying [a la the ubiquitous shredded t-shirt trend] and layer them on top of other tights for a cool effect. For example in this picture [below] I wore my beat up black sheer tights over the purple. I also like to do cutout designs with old tights. 

5.jpg 5 picture by happyfacesrock